Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's That Time of Year Again

Let me preface this blog entry by saying that I love Christmas and everything that comes with it. I love spending time with my family, the presents, the food and even the absolutely brutal winter weather. I also like that it is close to my birthday, but that is beside the point. However, there is one thing about Christmas that irritates me and I guess it is unfair because the thing that irritates me occurs as early as the end of October. I hate Christmas music.

Now, I can listen to Christmas music on the week of Christmas and it is enjoyable because it gets me excited about the upcoming big day. What I can't stand is radio stations thinking that it is a good idea to begin playing Christmas songs in the beginning of November. I think it is absurd that radio stations feel the need to satisfy their urge to play "Jingle Bells" and "Deck The Halls" before I even have a chance to put my Halloween costume away for the year. Another reason this gets on my nerves is because it reminds me that stores across the country trot out their Christmas decorations earlier every year. It has gotten to the point where some stores place their Christmas decorations and other yuletide paraphernalia a stones throw away from Halloween costumes and candy. Hey, why stop there? Why not trot out your Christmas trees and fake snow in the middle of the summer so that when it is over 100 degrees outside, I can at least pretend I am at the North Pole?

As I stated earlier, it isn't that I hate Christmas music entirely. I just think there is a fine line between a week's worth of it to get you in the holiday spirit and a month and half Christmas music marathon that drives you crazy after hearing "Dominick The Donkey" and "Jingle Bells" over a hundred times. I avoid the radio around this time every year to prevent Christmas music overload, but there are times when that is not possible whether it is because a store is playing it or you are in the car with someone else.

That being said, what are some of your favorite Christmas songs? Do you prefer traditional songs or covers of those songs by your favorite musicians?

No comments:

Post a Comment