Sunday, March 20, 2011

120 Minutes Returns

After being out of town due to a family emergency, I returned home and learned that MTV is bringing back the highly influential 120 Minutes and Matt Pinfield will be hosting once again (Pinfield originally hosted the show from 1995-1999). 120 Minutes was a weekly show on MTV that aired popular alternative artist's music videos and videos by artists who were frequently getting airplay on college radio. The show first premiered in 1986, but the shows heyday was during the boom of alternative music in the 90's and Pinfield became one of the most popular hosts. The biggest moment of the shows history was when it aired the world premeire of Nirvana's "Smell Like Teen Spirit" music video.

I love the fact that 120 Minutes is returning to MTV, especially since Pinfield will be hosting it. Pinfield knows more about music than I could ever hope to and his interviews were always very informative. Even though I was super young during his original tenure with the show, I can always remember watching 120 Minutes and I have always associated him with the show, so I am glad they didn't try and restart the show with a new host.

I also give credit to MTV for reviving a great show that is solely about music. Growing up, music was a huge part of the channel and they generally played great music. But ever since 2000, MTV seemingly got rid off a vast majority of their music shows and focused solely on reality shows like Laguna Beach and The Hills, which was a shame.

In honor of the show's return, here is one of my favorite 120 Minutes performances and some of my favorite videos that appeared on the show




No comments:

Post a Comment